Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A heart high




Justin doesn't fall asleep on my shoulder much anymore when I put him to bed. It used to be that he would fall asleep while he was nursing and rest on my shoulder for a couple of minutes before I laid him down. Lately he has been awake, but it has still been a very special time between us. We are both quiet and we spend a couple of minutes smiling and just looking at each other when he's done eating. For some reason, tonight he fell asleep like he used to. He kept his eyes closed when I switched him to the other side and was completely passed out when he finally finished. He even came off the boob without me even having to break the suction with my finger. I put him on my shoulder and just felt his body relax against mine. I listened to his little sleep noises and smiled when he would occasionally make the suction motions with his mouth. It was so blissful, I had a really hard time putting him down. He's growing up so fast I know that the days of him sleeping in my arms regularly are quickly coming to an end.


I just about floated down the stairs and when I got to the living room, I saw another lovely sight. Gavin was sleeping on Cole's lap. I can honestly say that has only happened 2 or 3 times in the last year. I took a couple of pictures and tried to get him up. If I hadn't had to struggle with Sweatshirt Bear and Blankie, I'm not sure Gavin would have woken up when I picked him up. He was so out of it that he barely opened his eyes, and seemed to fall back to sleep in my arms. I took him up and did his normal bedtime routine. He was so relaxed and wonderful, I just couldn't believe it. He was so crazy heavy, but I didn't care. My "little" boy was in my arms asleep. So rare and so wonderful. A heart high for sure.

1 comment:

Christie said...

Absolutely adorable. Oh, arent those wonderful moments! So, fun to see these pictures and read the stories. Blogs are so great :)