Thursday, April 17, 2008

My Sweet Sweet Boy


Gavin has not taken a nap for several days now. We send him to his room for a couple of hours, and he spends the time playing but we're ok with that. As long as he stays in there (except to use the bathroom) then it's just time away from the business of life. We all get a little time alone to keep us sane. Gavin is much easier to handle if he has napped, but oh well, he's getting older and will eventually give them up altogether.

As we were driving home from Brittney's house today, we were talking about what we were going to do when we got there, and it included going down for a nap. All of a sudden, he had this burst of what sounded like a combination of deep sadness and fear all at once. He cried out "If I close my eyes, I can't see Sweatshirt Bear!" and instantly had huge tears flowing. I almost started to cry too. Sweatshirt Bear has been his beast friend for over a year now and they take very good care of each other. I tried a few different approaches including talking about how if he holds on to him in a big hug while he's sleeping, he will still know he's there. He can "see" him with his hands. Maybe he can even see him in his dreams. When it was time to go to bed, he was still crying on and off about it, so I just let him know that all he has to do is stay in his room. If he wants to play like normal, that's fine. As I'm writing this, he seems to be trying to go to sleep. He's laying in his "nest" (an area in his closet that he decided to sleep in lately) and working hard at sleeping. He has been rubbing his eyes all day, so hopefully sleep will eventually win out.
What a sweet boy to be so concerned that he won't be able to see his friend. As frustrating as he is at this age, he sure lights up my day.


Obviously by my posts, I am most at peace when my babies are sleeping! I love them so much for sure, but I need as many breaks as I can get, and nap time is my best bet. On that note, both are in bed, and I am hungry. I took the picture last night because the "nest" makes me laugh. Sweatshirt Bear is facing away from us with the red sweatshirt on (that's how Gavin came up with his name).

Well, there's a problem uploading the picture, so I'll try again later...

1 comment:

Christie said...

Sarah, he is so adorable! Dont you just love the sleepy times :)